Thursday, June 24, 2010

Week 10 Pass it on: Delish Veggies! & A couple of winners!

Last saturday we spent the day farm hopping, and among a delicious assortment of fresh veggies we brought home a large bag of new potatoes. They had soft delicate skins, a buttery texture, colour and smelled like freshly tilled soil. My husband and I are huge potato fans who isn't? Right? Umm our tots.. they will only eat potatoes in the form of french fries or chips... no matter how we fancy them up, they just won't eat them... but then something happened, they ate these ones! And get this- Without Ketchup!! Probably because they were so simply prepared and were sweet without too much adornment.

This is how we served them:
Best Baby Potatoes
adapted from Jamie's Food Revolution
  • roughly 1 3/4 lbs of New Baby Potatoes- skins on or off. Larger ones cut up.
  • 4-5 sprigs of mint, leave removed & finely chopped
  • 3 pats of butter
  • salt & pepper
  • juice of 1 lemon
In a pot of salted water bring the potatoes to boil. Boil for roughly 10-15 minutes. While potatoes are boiling get butter, mint and lemon juice ready. Drain potatoes when they are tender but not falling apart, place in a bowl and toss with butter, salt & pepper, and mint. Squeeze lemon juice just before serving.

They were tangy, sweet and super tender..... The tots gobbled them up!

With the left overs the next day  we fried them up with some onion, mustard seed, garam masala and fresh red chile..... 

And now for the Winners! Andrea the fabulous Kitchen Witch and Michelle J another west coast gal! email me your address and I will get the divine BC foodie packages out to you after the crazy holidays! 

meganhcarroll (at) gmail (dot) com

5 comments:

  1. Your potatoes are proof that simple is best. I love the ideas of simple prepared foods and potatoes are such a good basic food.

    Yeah!! You have selected your winners for pay it Forward. Awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My daughter can't stand potatoes either!! I'm going to try this one - maybe she's like your tots & will like them!

    Woo hoo I'm a winner! I'm so excited!! Thanks for the awesome basket :) I emailed you my info

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Velva hope you are having a fabulous time on your trip... looks fun. Yes simple is best sometimes.

    @Andrea, thanks I got your info... my goal is to send it out to you 4th of july weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think that the tough skins on "old" potatoes can be off-putting to the little ones. I'll have to take a peek at my spuds and see if they are ready to go now. ;)

    I am so excited to have won your giveaway! I am super curious to see what BC goodies you have put together! You made my day!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yay Michelle, got your info... sending something out to both of you at the end of the week!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Tomatoes and more: Find more recipes here!