World's Best Braised Green Cabbage
From 'All About Braising' by Molly Stevens.
- 2 lbs of green cabbage, remove bruised and wilted leaves, sliced into 8 wedges
- 1 large yellow onion thinly sliced
- 1 large carrot cut into 1/4 in rounds
- 1/4 cup water or stock (veggie or chicken) * it is such a small amount I used water.
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- Coarse salt and Freshly ground pepper
- 1/8 tsp crushed chili flakes or to taste* optional
Heat oven to 325 degrees. Lightly oil a gratin dish or baking dish/sheet with high sides.
Arrange cabbage wedges on the the dish/sheet, scatter carrots and onion over. Drizzle with the olive oil, sprinkle, salt, pepper and chili flakes.
Cover with tinfoil and bake in oven for 2 hrs. After an hour turn the wedges, keeping together as best as you can. Add additional water if if the braise is drying out.
Once cabbage is completely soft, remove the foil, increase oven to 400 degrees, (At this point you can add a small amount of balsamic vinegar to make the cabbage sweeter, Molly Stevens recommends 1 1/2 tbsp, turn wedges with tongs to distribute) and brown for 15 minutes longer.
Sadly we do not get to eat this today- my husband is working late on his thesis and I will pick him up and we will go out for dinner. If I was a better wife I would have the chicken roasted, potatoes mashed, a salad made and a Manhattan for him the moment he walks in the door. Luckily for me the braise is suppose to be even better ttomorrow.
Serve it either at room temperature or popped it back into the oven at a moderate heat for about 20 minutes the next day.
photos by me.